Monday, April 20, 2015

Sandy the Hedgehog's Terrible Weekend

     Today I used storybird.com to create my first "story strip." At first I was not looking forward to it. I did not think I would be able to be creative enough to find a few pictures that I liked and to then piece them together and create a short story of my own. A little while later and voila I had created a story


Once I really got into it, this activity was no longer difficult and actually a bit of fun. I think that this would be a homework assignment that students would enjoy completing because while there are guidelines, the assignment itself isn't so rigid, giving students the flexibility they need to be creative and have fun. 

This is an activity that I would definitely use with my intermediate students in order to meet ESL Standard-ESL.I.5-8.2 which states, "students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for literary response, enjoyment, and expression."

In order to use this as a homework assignment I would focus on a specific tense for example the present progressive. I would tell the students to find at least 4 pictures and create a small story with them while using the present progressive tense in each slide. I would have have students get into groups of three or four and have them share their stories with each other not only to share their creativity but to help them reinforce the present progressive tense. Based on the outcome of their short stories I would then either give a mini lecture reviewing the present progressive tense or continue on to the next topic in class.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Sandy! Your story is a good example of using a few images to create a fun story.

    ReplyDelete