Monday, April 20, 2015

Animoto in the Classroom

     Today I used a program called Animoto to create a vocabulary slideshow for beginner level ESL students. Prior to using this program I had never heard of it until today. The program itself did not take more than a few minutes to figure out how to use and the final product looked nice considering I used the trial version and the Animoto watermark is still on my video.

     Last week I really enjoyed using TedED to create interactive lessons for more high intermediate - advanced students. In contrast, I think that Animoto would be more useful for beginners and low intermediate students. The short lesson I created involved introducing new vocabulary for the theme of going on a trip that would be helpful for students just starting out as opposed to a student that is geared more towards higher level grammatical concepts.

     With regards to students using this program, I think it would be a good way for them to meet ESL Standard - ESL.E.2-4.2 which states "students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for literary response, enjoyment, and expression." For example at the end of a travel unit, I would instruct my beginner students create a photo and text slideshow using Animoto. The assignment would include 10 sentences about an imaginary trip they are going on. Each slide would include a sentence with at least one new vocabulary word along with an image of the word.

This activity would be used to evaluate their comprehension of the new vocabulary learned during the unit while simultaneously allowing the students to be creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment