Sunday, March 8, 2015

#Twitter in the Classroom

     After participating in the #ELLchat on Twitter this past Monday evening, I started thinking about how I would use Twitter in an educational setting. I saw firsthand how it has the ability to help educators from all over the world connect with each other and share ideas, but I wasn't exactly sure how I could use Twitter in a classroom setting with my future students. 

     A Must Have Guide on Using Twitter in Your Classroom is an article that is presented as a list of ideas for Twitter usage in the class except that each idea listed is highlighted and is actually a link to a full article on each particular idea. While I had kicked around a few ideas in my head as to how I could use Twitter, this list goes far beyond what I had thought of. One of the first ideas I had (which was also on the list) was to use Twitter for general class announcements, homework assignments, and office hours. One of the points that were mentioned in the resource category that I plan on doing is to encourage students to follow a foreign language in their news feed. This will allow them to not only follow the news in other countries, it will also help students practice their reading comprehension in the foreign language and to help them learn new vocabulary words. 

In the article Teaching With Twitter written by Lori Stokes, she discusses six ways to use Twitter in the classroom with students. I really enjoyed the second topic she discussed and plan on doing this with students in the future. She talks about using Twitter in real time for questions and feedback during student presentations. I think this is an excellent way to keep students engaged. Often times during a student presentation the audience of students sit there quietly and may seem to be paying attention, but I think often times they are more being talked to rather than being taught or involved with the presentation. Allow students to use Twitter with a hash tag of the name of the presentation allows students to both participate and help the presenter to include additional information or the help questions throughout the presentation.

While there are two or three ways that I will focus on using Twitter in my future classroom, it almost seems like the possibilities are endless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment